This guide is designed specifically around your course, and is intended to help you fulfill the objectives that Professor Williamson has laid out in her syllabus. By the end of the course you should be able to:
1. Conduct research (both in the library and on the internet)
2. Carry out basic primary research
3. Evaluate and use sources to develop an argumentative essay
4. Demonstrate improvement in critical reading skills
5. Analyze and interpret literary works
6. Understand the writing process
7. Demonstrate proficiency in the development of a formal essay
8. Document your citations according to MLA format
9. Edit and proofread your writing
10. Show an appreciation of the diverse cultures that make up American society
Before you get started on any assignment, you're obviously going to want to make sure that you completely understand what you're being asked to do. Your prompt (or assignment) should include several vital pieces of information and it will help you to keep these in mind from the very beginning.
After you've spent some time analyzing the assignment you should be able to answer the following questions:
The answers to those questions will guide you as you start the writing process.