1. Print out and use a paper copy to check for errors that you overlooked on the computer screen.
2. Start at the end of the paper and read backward to the beginning word-by-word. This strategy is especially effective for finding misspellings, typos, double spacing, and other mechanical problems. It will also help you discover overused words.
3. Scan your paper. Errors that are overlooked in careful readings will often pop-out at you during a quick scan.
4. Think about the errors that you consistently make when you write and scrutinize your paper for those specific problems. Do you consistently use a semi-colon when you should use a comma? Check for that. Do you consistently make certain typos or misspell certain words? Look for those.
5. Keep an online or print grammar guide open and handy for reference. (See the Grammar & Style Guide links in the column to the right.)